Home care instructions after receiving root canal treatment at Avon Family and Cosmetic Dentistry:
- Take prescribed pain medications: Your dentist may prescribe pain medication to alleviate any discomfort following the procedure. Take the medication as directed.
- Avoid chewing on the treated tooth: Do not chew on the treated tooth until the permanent restoration is placed. This will help prevent re-contamination of the root canal and potential damage to the tooth.
- Maintain oral hygiene: Brush and floss your teeth regularly, but be gentle around the treated tooth. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and avoid abrasive toothpaste.
- Avoid hard and sticky foods: Avoid hard and sticky foods that may damage the temporary or permanent restoration.
- Schedule a follow-up appointment: Attend the follow-up appointment with your dentist to complete the permanent restoration. This may include a crown, filling, or other types of restoration.
- Report any issues: If you experience any pain, swelling, or other issues following the procedure, contact your dentist immediately.
- Protect your tooth: Once the permanent restoration is in place, protect your tooth by wearing a mouthguard during any physical activity or sports.
Following these instructions can help ensure the success of your root canal treatment and the longevity of your tooth. It is important to follow all post-operative care instructions and attend all follow-up appointments with your dentist.
Please call our office at 860.674.0707 should you have any questions.